OU football player tracker: Which Sooners are staying and who is leaving?
NORMAN — OU coach Lincoln Riley has been rebuilding his roster a bit lately after a rash of players deciding to enter the NFL Draft immediately following the end of the Sooners’ season.
With the COVID-19 pandemic leading to the NCAA allowing players that played this season an additional year of eligibility, this offseason is unlike any other in college football history.
But the Sooners stand to make a little history in 2021 with a loaded roster, including 2020 opt-outs Jalen Redmond and Kennedy Brooks. OU has also landed three transfers from Tennessee — the latest coming Wednesday night in running back Eric Gray, who ran for 772 yards and four touchdowns last season on 157 carries.
Here’s a look at the comings and goings for OU so far this offseason:
Seniors who are staying
• Linebacker Caleb Kelly, who has played 41 career games but missed all of 2020 following a season-ending injury he suffered in the summer.
• Offensive tackle Erik Swenson, who has played in 31 games, starting 19 — 18 at left tackle. Swenson was named to The Associated Press’ all-bowl team after posting a 90.3 Pro Football Focus grade in the Cotton Bowl win over Florida, the tops of any offensive lineman this bowl season.
• Wide receiver/holder Spencer Jones, who was awarded a scholarship during the 2020 season, leading to his decision to stay for another year.
- Related to this story
- Article: OU football: The Big 12's talent deficiency begins on recruiting trail, but Sooners finding ample success
- Video: OU Football: Big 12 Championship & Signing Day
• Defensive tackle LaRon Stokes, whose season was limited a bit by injury in 2020, but who has started 15 games over the past two seasons.
Early entries to the NFL
• Offensive tackle Adrian Ealy
• Center Creed Humphrey
• Defensive back Tre Norwood
• Defensive end Ronnie Perkins
Seniors leaving for the NFL
• Cornerback Tre Brown
• Running back Rhamondre Stevenson
Seniors eligible to stay, but haven’t made an announcement
• Wide receiver Theo Howard
• Quarterback Tanner Schafer
• Cornerback Chanse Sylvie
• Linebacker Bryan Mead
• Wide receiver Obi Obialo
• Offensive lineman Finley Felix
Players transferring out
• Defensive back Robert Barnes to Colorado
• Tight end Jalin Conyers to Arizona State
• Running back T.J. Pledger to Utah
• Defensive lineman Zacchaeus McKinney to Hawaii
• Quarterback Chandler Morris to TCU
• Quarterback Tanner Mordecai to SMU
• Offensive lineman E.J. Ndoma-Ogar to Missouri
• Wide receiver Charleston Rambo to Miami
• Linebacker Jon-Michael Terry to Tulsa
Players transferring in
• Quarterback Micah Bowens, who is transferring from Penn State
• Offensive lineman Robert Congel, who is transferring from Arizona
• Running back Eric Gray, who is transferring from Tennessee
• Safety Key Lawrence, who is transferring from Tennessee
• Offensive tackle Wanya Morris, who is transferring from Tennessee
Players returning after opting out
• Running back Kennedy Brooks, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his two seasons with the Sooners.
• Defensive lineman Jalen Redmond, who was one of the Sooners’ top pass rushers in 2019 and who returned to the team for bowl prep in December but didn’t play in the Cotton Bowl.