OU football: Sooners QB Spencer Rattler projected to win 2021 Heisman Trophy
After a solid freshman campaign, OU quarterback Spencer Rattler is projected to win the 2021 Heisman Trophy at 7/1 odds, according to SportsBettingDime.com.
Quarterbacks have won the award in nine of the past 11 years, and it's projected to see a return to that pattern next year with Rattler.
In his first year as the Sooners' starter, Rattler posted 3,031 passing yards and 28 passing touchdowns with just seven interceptions. He also tacked on six rushing touchdowns.
Rattler already has a leg up on his top competition, as no other projected top-four finisher has started more than four games at their respective schools.
- Related to this story
- Article: OU Sooners: Spencer Rattler's growth and the 21 things to look forward to in 2021
- Article: OU football: Austin Stogner returns for Cotton Bowl after surgery for infected quad injury
- Article: OU football: Five takeaways from the Sooners' 55-20 Cotton Bowl win over Florida
- Article: OU football: Watch Sooners celebrate Cotton Bowl rout with Malcolm Kelly's famous freestyle rap
- Article: OU football: Sooners set Cotton Bowl records & other key numbers to 55-20 win vs. Florida
- Article: Tramel: OU football report card in Cotton Bowl has high marks for Sooners' power football & clutch defense
- Article: Tramel: Physical Sooners are just on another level in Cotton Bowl win over Florida Gators
- Article: Cotton Bowl notebook: OU football team fires back at Florida LB after Sooners' rout: 'They aren't Big 12'
- Article: OU football: Sooners center Creed Humphrey declares for 2021 NFL Draft
- Article: OU football: How interceptions set the tone of Cotton Bowl — and beyond — for Sooners
- Article: Carlson: Why Sooners QB Spencer Rattler looks like a future Heisman Trophy contender
- Article: OU football: Sooners backup QB Chandler Morris announces he will transfer
- Article: OU football: Kennedy Brooks and Jalen Redmond returning to Sooners, but Tre Norwood declares for NFL Draft
- Article: OU football: Former Sooners QB Chandler Morris is transferring to TCU
- Article: OU football: Sooners WR Charleston Rambo says he is entering the transfer portal
- Article: OU football: Sooners QB Spencer Rattler among early 2021 Heisman Trophy favorites
- Article: OU football: Sooners RB Rhamondre Stevenson entering NFL Draft
- Article: OU football: Sooners DE Ronnie Perkins declares for NFL Draft
- Article: OU football: Sooners LB Nik Bonitto says he is returning for 2021 season
- Video: OU Football: Cotton Bowl Blowout
- Video: OU football: Spencer Rattler on Cotton Bowl
- Video: OU Football: Cotton Bowl has high marks for Sooners' power football & clutch defense
- Video: OU Football: Sooners set Cotton Bowl records in 55-20 win over Florida
Clemson's freshman QB D.J. Uiagalelei trails Rattler with 9/1 odds, followed by Georgia transfer QB JT Daniels with 11/1 odds and Alabama's freshman passer Bryce Young with 13/1 odds to win.
For the first time in nearly three decades, a wide receiver took home the award at Tuesday's virtual Heisman ceremony. Alabama's DeVonta Smith blazed his way to the trophy with 1,641 receiving yards and 20 touchdowns this season. He received 1,856 first-place votes, followed by Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence with 222 and Alabama quarterback Mac Jones with 138 first-place votes.
Full list of 2021 Heisman odds from SportsBettingDime.com:
1. Spencer Rattler (QB, Oklahoma): 7/1
2. D.J. Uiagalelei (QB, Clemson): 9/1
3. JT Daniels (QB, Georgia): 11/1
4. Bryce Young (QB, Alabama): 13/1
5. Jayden Daniels (QB, Arizona State): 14/1
6. Kedon Slovis (QB, USC): 14/1
7. Sam Howell (QB, UNC): 14/1
8. D’Eriq King (QB, Miami) 15/1
9. A Non-QB: 15/1
10. Michael Penix Jr (QB, Indiana): 19/1
11. Graham Mertz (QB, Wisconsin): 20/1
12. Breece Hall (RB, Iowa State): 25/1
13. Dillon Gabriel (QB, UCF): 40/1
14. Brock Purdy (QB, Iowa State): 60/1
15. Jack Coan (QB, Notre Dame): 75/1
16. Bo Nix (QB, Auburn): 75/1
17. Sean Clifford (QB, Penn State): 90/1
18. Kyren Williams (RB, Notre Dame): 100/1
19. George Pickens (WR, Georgia): 125/1
20. Any Defensive Player: 150/1