OKC Thunder: Trevor Ariza away from team indefinitely due to family matters
Veteran forward Trevor Ariza has not reported to Thunder training camp. Ariza will be away from the team indefinitely.
"Ariza remains focused on the same family matters that kept him from attending the bubble with the Blazers," a Thunder spokesman told The Oklahoman on Sunday. "The Thunder was made aware he would not be available when they acquired him, and remain supportive of Ariza's indefinite absence given the circumstance."
Ariza opted out of the season restart in Orlando to commit to a one-month visitation window with his son, ESPN reported in June. Ariza has been involved in a child custody case.
The Thunder acquired the 35-year-old forward last month as part of a three-team trade with the Mavericks and Pistons. The Thunder sent forward James Johnson to the Mavericks, and received Justin Jackson from Dallas and Ariza from Detroit.
- Related to this story
- Article: OKC Thunder: Two players test positive for COVID-19
- Article: Frank Jackson 'always been enamored' with OKC Thunder
- Article: OKC Thunder: Darius Bazley enters Year 2 in NBA with more responsibility
- Article: OKC Thunder officially acquires Al Horford, Theo Maledon in trade with Philadelphia 76ers
- Article: OKC Thunder: George Hill embracing role on young, rebuilding team
- Article: OKC Thunder: T.J. Leaf looking for fresh start
- Article: OKC Thunder signs Moses Brown, Josh Hall to two-way contracts
- Article: OKC Thunder signs Aleksej Pokusevski, Theo Maledon, bringing roster to 18
- Article: Can NBA host a season without a bubble? Doc Rivers: ‘I’m very concerned on if we can pull this off’
- Article: OKC Thunder: Lu Dort returns to practice
- Article: OKC Thunder's Mark Daigneault supports polo look for NBA coaches
- Article: Carlson: So very 2020 — Thunder games are only on TV but carrier options are limited
- Article: OKC Thunder: Seven players out for first preseason game
- Article: OKC Thunder: Isaiah Roby fully healthy entering second season
- Article: OKC Thunder at Spurs: Tip-off time, how to watch
- Article: OKC Thunder rookie Theo Maledon to make debut in San Antonio, where mentor Tony Parker starred
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five takeaways from preseason win at Spurs
- Video: Thunder Update: Presti on roster changes and new season
Ariza was traded from Portland, to Houston, to Detroit to Oklahoma City all in one week this offseason.
Ariza signed with the Kings last summer, and he was traded to the Trail Blazers in January. Ariza started 21 games for Portland, averaging 11 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. He shot 40% from 3-point range after the trade.
Ariza has averaged 10.5 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game in 16 NBA seasons.
He's under contract for $12.8 million this season — the last year of his deal.