Report: Former Knicks coach Mike Miller to join OKC Thunder staff
Former Knicks interim head coach Mike Miller will join Mark Daigneault's Thunder staff, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Wednesday.
Miller, not the former NBA sharpshooter of the same name, went 17-27 as Knicks head coach last season. He took over last December when New York fired David Fizdale.
Miller, 56, grew up in Monmouth, Illinois. After playing college basketball at East Texas State (now Texas A&M University-Commerce), Miller started his coaching career in 1989 as an assistant at Western Illinois.
He landed his first head coaching job at Southwest Texas State (now Texas State) in 1994. The Bobcats went 87-79 in Miller's six seasons. He led the program to its second NCAA Tournament appearance in 1997.
- Related to this story
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder had to make another move in this wild NBA week
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder declines team option for Deonte Burton
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder receives Al Horford, first-round pick in trade with Philadelphia 76ers
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Aleksej Pokusevski, No. 17 pick in NBA Draft
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Theo Maledon, No. 34 pick in NBA draft
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Vit Krejci, No. 37 pick in NBA draft
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder gets Al Horford, four years too late
- Article: OKC Thunder reportedly signs two undrafted free agents
- Article: OKC Thunder acquires Admiral Schofield in trade with Washington Wizards
- Article: OKC Thunder: Options exercised for Hamidou Diallo, Mike Muscala
- Article: 2020 NBA draft grades: How did the OKC Thunder fare on its report card?
- Article: What Sam Presti's draft room was like as the OKC Thunder selected three international prospects
- Article: OKC Thunder receives Vincent Poirier in trade with Boston Celtics
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder trades Kelly Oubre to Golden State Warriors
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder might not be finished collecting draft picks
- Article: Report: Thunder on verge of trading Steven Adams to Pelicans for draft picks
- Article: Tramel: Losing OKC Thunder fan favorite Steven Adams in trade to Pelicans is a cruel part of rebuild
- Article: Tramel: Steven Adams trade leads to even more roster turnover for OKC Thunder
- Article: OKC Thunder trades Steven Adams, losing last connection to past era: 'This is definitely a dark day for Thunder fans'
- Article: Report: Former Thunder center Nerlens Noel signs with New York Knicks
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder receives Kenrich Williams, Zylan Cheatham, Josh Gray in Steven Adams trade with Pelicans
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder trades Jalen Lecque to Indiana Pacers for T.J. Leaf
- Article: OKC Thunder: Timeline of 10 trades Sam Presti made to stockpile more draft picks
- Article: How Steven Adams created countless memories with OKC Thunder? Stache Bros, flip flops and a 3-point shimmy
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder signs guard Frank Jackson
- Article: OKC Thunder preseason schedule released for 2020-21 NBA season
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder trading Steven Adams means a time to mourn & a time to dance
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five big questions heading into NBA training camp
- Article: OKC Thunder to begin season without fans at home games
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five takeaways from Sam Presti's press conference on Steven Adams, Aleksej Pokusevski and rebuild
- Article: OKC Thunder Q&A: Sam Presti on why the time was right to rebuild
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder's best option is tanking, even if it stinks
- Article: OKC Thunder waives guard Josh Gray
- Video: Thunder Stache Bros
- Video: Thunder Media Day 2019: Nerlens Noel
- Video: Thunder: One on one with Steven Adams
- Video: Thunder Update: Presti address Donovan's departure
After five seasons as an assistant at Kansas State, Miller received his second head coaching opportunity in 2005 at Eastern Illinois.
The Panthers went 75-130 and 45-85 in the Ohio Valley Conference in Miller's seven seasons.
Miller was named head coach of the G League Westchester Knicks in 2015. He won G League Coach of the Year in 2018.
After four seasons with Westchester, Miller was promoted to a Knicks assistant in 2019. He was named interim head coach in his first season on staff.
Daigneault, since being named Thunder head coach two weeks ago, has said assembling his staff is among his top priorities.
"We’re looking for people who have a certain mindset," Daigneault said, "and that are going to follow our method and that are going to completely embrace the strategic vision of the organization and invest in the players."