Report: OKC Thunder on verge of trading Steven Adams to New Orleans Pelicans for NBA Draft picks
The Steven Adams era is apparently coming to an end.
On the first night of free agency during an abbreviated NBA offseason, Thunder general manager Sam Presti continued his transaction spree late Friday. Oklahoma City is set to trade longtime center Steven Adams to the New Orleans Pelicans as part of a four-team deal for guard George Hill, forward Darius Miller, a 2023 protected first-round pick via Denver and second-round picks (via Charlotte in 2023 and Washington in 2024), ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported.
The Thunder selected Adams 12th overall in the 2013 NBA Draft out of Pittsburgh. OKC had acquired that pick the previous October as part of the James Harden trade with the Houston Rockets.
The native New Zealander quickly became a fan favorite in OKC for his personality as well as his play on the court.
- Related to this story
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder had to make another move in this wild NBA week
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder declines team option for Deonte Burton
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder receives Al Horford, first-round pick in trade with Philadelphia 76ers
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Aleksej Pokusevski, No. 17 pick in NBA Draft
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Theo Maledon, No. 34 pick in NBA draft
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Vit Krejci, No. 37 pick in NBA draft
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder gets Al Horford, four years too late
- Article: OKC Thunder reportedly signs two undrafted free agents
- Article: OKC Thunder acquires Admiral Schofield in trade with Washington Wizards
- Article: OKC Thunder: Options exercised for Hamidou Diallo, Mike Muscala
- Article: What Sam Presti's draft room was like as the OKC Thunder selected three international prospects
- Article: OKC Thunder receives Vincent Poirier in trade with Boston Celtics
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder trades Kelly Oubre to Golden State Warriors
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder might not be finished collecting draft picks
- Article: Tramel: Losing OKC Thunder fan favorite Steven Adams in trade to Pelicans is a cruel part of rebuild
- Article: Tramel: Steven Adams trade leads to even more roster turnover for OKC Thunder
- Article: OKC Thunder trades Steven Adams, losing last connection to past era: 'This is definitely a dark day for Thunder fans'
- Article: Report: Former Thunder center Nerlens Noel signs with New York Knicks
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder receives Kenrich Williams, Zylan Cheatham, Josh Gray in Steven Adams trade with Pelicans
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder trades Jalen Lecque to Indiana Pacers for T.J. Leaf
- Article: OKC Thunder: Timeline of 10 trades Sam Presti made to stockpile more draft picks
- Article: How Steven Adams created countless memories with OKC Thunder? Stache Bros, flip flops and a 3-point shimmy
- Video: Thunder Stache Bros
- Video: Thunder: One on one with Steven Adams
- Video: Thunder Update: Presti address Donovan's departure
In seven seasons with the Thunder, Adams has averaged 9.8 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. He is entering the final season of a four-year, $100-million contract that he signed in 2016.
Also late Friday night, OKC reportedly acquired forwards Trevor Ariza (via Detroit) and Justin Jackson (via Dallas) and a draft pick as part of a team trade with the Pistons and Mavericks that sent guard Delon Wright from Dallas to Detroit.
In the past seven days, the Thunder has traded away many key players from last season's roster, including Dennis Schroder, Chris Paul and Terrance Ferguson.
The 2020-21 NBA season is set to begin on Dec. 22. A schedule has yet to be released.