OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Theo Maledon, No. 34 pick in NBA draft
The Thunder selected Theo Maledon with the No. 34 pick in the NBA draft Wednesday night.
Oklahoma City received the 34th pick in a reported trade with Philadelphia.
Here are five things to know about Maledon:
- Related to this story
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Aleksej Pokusevski, No. 17 pick in NBA Draft
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five things to know about Vit Krejci, No. 37 pick in NBA draft
- Article: What Sam Presti's draft room was like as the OKC Thunder selected three international prospects
- Article: OKC Thunder receives Vincent Poirier in trade with Boston Celtics
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder trades Kelly Oubre to Golden State Warriors
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder might not be finished collecting draft picks
- Article: Report: Thunder on verge of trading Steven Adams to Pelicans for draft picks
- Article: Report: Former Thunder center Nerlens Noel signs with New York Knicks
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder receives Kenrich Williams, Zylan Cheatham, Josh Gray in Steven Adams trade with Pelicans
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder trades Jalen Lecque to Indiana Pacers for T.J. Leaf
- Article: Report: OKC Thunder signs guard Frank Jackson
- Article: Report: Former Knicks coach Mike Miller to join OKC Thunder staff
- Article: OKC Thunder: Five takeaways from Sam Presti's press conference on Steven Adams, Aleksej Pokusevski and rebuild
- Article: OKC Thunder Q&A: Sam Presti on why the time was right to rebuild
- Article: Tramel: OKC Thunder's best option is tanking, even if it stinks
- Article: OKC Thunder waives guard Josh Gray
Maledon is a 6-foot-4 and 180-pound point guard.
The 19-year-old has played the last three seasons for ASVEL Lyon-Villeurbanne in France's top league. He averaged 7.3 points and 2.7 assists last season.
Maledon shot 46% from the field and 37% from 3-point range.
Maledon was born in Rouen, France. He attended the same training academy in Paris as former Spurs star and France native Tony Parker.
Parker, who owns ASVEL, has been a mentor to Maledon.
Maledon's mother, Sylvie, played basketball for the French junior national team. His father, Claude, played in France's third division.
Theo's sister, Lena, played college basketball at Southern Arkansas.
Maledon started playing professionally at 16.
"You feel like you're dealing with a 28 to 30-year-old adult," said Team France general manager Patrick Beesley, in a quote in the NBA Draft Guide. "He is mature and doesn't seem in any way vulnerable in this new environment, which could impress (NBA teams)."
Maledon was one of three international prospects selected by the Thunder on Wednesday night.
There are currently 13 French players in the NBA, including Rudy Gobert and Evan Fournier.