OSU football: Cowboys uniform guru Justin Williams gives nod to throwback look as his favorite combination
They say the clothes make the man, but where Oklahoma State football is concerned, Justin Williams is the man who makes the clothes.
OSU's director of football equipment operations is in charge of conceiving ideas for the Cowboys’ uniforms, deciding on helmet-jersey-pant combinations, then scheduling what will be used for what games. While Nike has designers who implement the ideas for uniform design, much of the leg work is done in a tucked-away office space at the back of the OSU equipment room dubbed by Williams and Co. as “The Laboratory.”
There was no better person than Williams, then, to rank OSU’s best uniform combinations.
1. 1988 throwback white helmet, orange jersey, white pants, 2018 vs. Texas: What Williams liked about it: “The ‘Oklahoma State’ across the chest with the Barry Sanders tribute patch. Oklahoma State’s best brand with the classic OSU brand on the helmet. The stripes on the sleeves and shoulder numbers make this a favorite look.”
2. All black uniform, 2011 Fiesta Bowl: “Strongest-looking uniform. We always seem to play well in the all black. We capped off our best season in recent history by beating Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl with this look.”
3. All white uniform, any time: “Very clean. Players always get excited when we wear the all whites.”
4. Matte black helmet, orange jersey, black pants, 2011 vs. OU: “Beat Oklahoma 44-10. Crowned Big 12 champions.”
5. Chrome orange helmet, white jersey, black pants, 2017 vs. Texas: “Always liked the shine of our chrome orange helmet in Austin, Texas. We never lost to Texas in this combination. The black numbers on our current white jersey matched with the black pants pushed the ranking for this look.”
- Related to this story
- Article: OSU football: You've got favorite uniform combinations for the Cowboys and so do we
- Article: Carlson: How OSU football's uniforms became a hallmark of the Cowboys, not a footnote
- Article: Sooners have one of the most iconic looks in college football: 'It’s hard to get too far away from them'
- Article: Bedlam football: ESPN's College GameDay heading to Norman
- Video: OSU Football: Defense key in Cowboys win against Wildcats
6. Throwback helmet, orange jersey, white pants, 2014 and 2016 homecoming: “2014 started our tradition of wearing throwback helmets for homecoming (with the white buckin’ bronco helmet). Cowboy fans still reach out to me on social media asking for more buckin’ bronc logos. 2016 homecoming honored the OSU family members we lost too soon (in plane crashes) with 14 footballs placed on the back of the helmet. We still wear the kneeling Cowboy for every homecoming.”
7. Matte black, white jersey, orange pants, 2014 vs. OU: “Favorite tri-color look we have. Plus, Bob Stoops punted twice.”
8. Orange helmet, orange jersey, white pants, 2019 vs. Baylor: “The orange helmet matched our orange jersey perfectly. The classic OSU brand on the side is always a favorite.”
9. Paisley black helmet, white jersey, orange pants, 2016 Alamo Bowl vs. Colorado: “The paisley helmet is such a unique looking helmet, and the orange facemask with the orange pants is a perfect blend of orange and black head to toe. We destroyed the Buffaloes in this look, too.”
10a. White helmet, black jersey, white pants, 2013 vs. Baylor: “The white-black-white look is really popular with our players. We added the black OSU brand with orange outline to the helmet to complete the look.”
10b. White helmet, orange jersey, white pants, 2017 vs. Tulsa: “Inspired by the helmets on the old Lewis Field press box. ‘Patriot Pete’ introduced the black-orange-black stripe (running front to back down the middle of the helmet) and the standing Pistol Pete on the side of the helmet for the first time.”