OSU football: The Six Shooter pregame thoughts on the Cowboys vs. Iowa State
STILLWATER — Hopefully, The Six Shooter isn’t too rusty after the 21-day layoff for sixth-ranked Oklahoma State, which will play host to No. 17 Iowa State at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, televised by Fox:
Cowboy in the Crosshairs
Quarterback Spencer Sanders
- Related to this story
- Article: OSU football: Hunter Woodard 'learning in the fire' on Cowboys' offensive line
- Article: OSU football: Sione Asi's journey brings unique perspective to Cowboys
- Article: Big Ten & Mountain West join this crazy college football season
- Article: OSU football: Iowa State's Brock Purdy will bring no surprises to Stillwater this time
- Article: OSU football: Why this trip to Stillwater can be historic for Iowa State
- Article: OSU football: 3-2-1 kickoff for Cowboys vs. Iowa State
- Article: Iowa State vs. OSU football: Broadcast info, betting odds, weather, predictions
- Article: OSU football: Why Jarrick Bernard-Converse's new name has deep meaning
- Article: Carlson: Why OSU quarterback Spencer Sanders' growth has been stunted (Spoiler: it's no one's fault)
- Video: OSU Football: Preparing for Iowa State
No point in dancing around it. Sanders’ presence and ability to move the offense down the field is the biggest key to an Oklahoma State victory on Saturday. Will Gundy really play two quarterbacks, mixing true freshman Shane Illingworth in as well? When it comes to QB play, predicting what Gundy will do is about impossible, but the Cowboys need Sanders playing at his top level to fully use their offensive weapons.
Matchup that Matters
Iowa State running back Breece Hall vs. OSU linebackers
Hall leads the Big 12 in rushing yards and touchdowns, and his per-game average of 132.8 yards is more than OSU has allowed to any team so far this season. Containing Hall falls heavily on OSU’s linebackers, who are some of the best tacklers on the team.
Number to Know
That’s how many interceptions Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy has thrown through four games this season. He threw three in one quarter against OSU last year, one of which was returned for a game-winning touchdown. The Cowboys need to find a way to win the turnover battle in such a tight ballgame.
Against the Spread
This number has taken a nosedive late in the week since opening at 55.5. If it had stayed in that range, I would have been nervous about it. But the dip doesn’t scare me as much. As for OSU minus 3.5, play that — on either side — at your own risk.
The Cowboys have been traditional with their home looks so far, including the crispy all-white throwbacks, so it’s time to throw in the black-on-black look. And top it off with the orange helmet with chrome OSU logo.
1 Wild Prediction
Tight end Jelani Woods catches five passes
It would more than double his production to this point in the season, which consists of two catches for six yards. But hitting a few passes in the middle of the field should help open up things for the outside receivers and for the run game.
(Wild Prediction record: Season, 2-1; All-time, 5-37)