OU football: Special teams step up in big way in 4OT win over Texas
OU’s lack of a big special teams play was reaching the point of frustration.
“Like, why are we not able to get the upper hand on special teams?” linebacker David Ugwoegbu often wondered.
So, Saturday’s wacky 53-45 quadruple-overtime victory over No. 22-ranked Texas in the annual Red River Showdown was a big relief.
Perrion Winfrey blocked Texas kicker Cameron Dicker’s third-overtime field goal attempt, getting his left hand on the football. It was a crucial play considering the Sooners’ lone special teams blunder soon followed when Gabe Brkic missed a game-winning 21-yard field goal.
- Related to this story
- Article: OU football: Spencer Rattler leaves game, Tanner Mordecai in at QB
- Article: OU football: Five takeaways from Sooners' 53-45 win over Texas in Red River Showdown
- Article: OU-Texas football: Numbers are big in Red River Showdown, several records set
- Article: OU football: Drake Stoops lives out dream with Red River Showdown decisive TD catch
- Article: OU football: T.J. Pledger, Marcus Major deliver in Seth McGowan's absence
- Article: Tramel: Sooners earn high grades for running game and containing Sam Ehlinger in wild win over Texas
- Article: OU football: Sooners' defense — and Tre Brown — come up with redemption in wild Red River win
- Article: Tramel: Sooners looked empty but find a way to beat Texas in four overtimes
- Article: Carlson: On a wild day for OU football, Sooner quarterback Spencer Rattler had the wackiest of them all
- Article: OU football: Bests and Worsts from the Sooners' 53-45 win over Texas
- Article: Carlson: Drake Stoops was always 'gonna find a way on the field' for OU football. Here's why.
- Article: OU football: Nik Bonitto's expanded skillset has become a valuable weapon for Sooners
- Article: OU football at TCU: Broadcast info, betting lines, matchup breakdown
- Article: OU football: Sooners' secondary rotation could continue to grow after bye week
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley says 'process is still ongoing' with suspended Sooners
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley worried about message of one-time transfer rule
- Video: OU Football: Riley on 53-45 win over Texas
- Video: OU Football: Preparing for Texas
- Video: OU Football: Defense comes up big ... then the fourth quarter arrives
Ugwoegbu also blocked Ryan Bujcevski's punt in the second quarter, setting up the Sooners’ go-ahead touchdown four plays later.
And freshman Marvin Mims had a 36-yard punt return in the third that was aided at the end by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty by Bujcevski. Three plays later, the Sooners again regained the lead.
“It felt great, because we’ve been going through it and seeing other teams do it to us,” Ugwoegbu said. “But today we were able to come out on that side and we felt great.”