OU football: Spencer Rattler leaves game, Tanner Mordecai in at QB
DALLAS — It was a rough introduction to the Red River Showdown for Spencer Rattler.
Rattler left the game following his second turnover of the day — a play that was ruled a fumble.
On the Sooners' fifth drive of the game, Rattler looked like he was about to be brought down for a sack on third down but the ball popped out and straight into the hands of Texas' Juwan Mitchell.
As he left the field following the play, Rattler was flexing his right hand. The Sooners didn't have much time to regroup as Texas scored quickly and Tanner Mordecai came into the game.
- Related to this story
- Article: OU football: Five takeaways from Sooners' 53-45 win over Texas in Red River Showdown
- Article: OU-Texas football: Numbers are big in Red River Showdown, several records set
- Article: OU football: Drake Stoops lives out dream with Red River Showdown decisive TD catch
- Article: OU football: Special teams step up in big way in 4OT win over Texas
- Article: OU football: T.J. Pledger, Marcus Major deliver in Seth McGowan's absence
- Article: Tramel: Sooners earn high grades for running game and containing Sam Ehlinger in wild win over Texas
- Article: OU football: Sooners' defense — and Tre Brown — come up with redemption in wild Red River win
- Article: Tramel: Sooners looked empty but find a way to beat Texas in four overtimes
- Article: Carlson: On a wild day for OU football, Sooner quarterback Spencer Rattler had the wackiest of them all
- Article: OU football: Bests and Worsts from the Sooners' 53-45 win over Texas
- Article: Carlson: Drake Stoops was always 'gonna find a way on the field' for OU football. Here's why.
- Article: OU football: Nik Bonitto's expanded skillset has become a valuable weapon for Sooners
- Article: OU football at TCU: Broadcast info, betting lines, matchup breakdown
- Article: OU football: Sooners' secondary rotation could continue to grow after bye week
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley says 'process is still ongoing' with suspended Sooners
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley worried about message of one-time transfer rule
Mordecai completed his first four passes.
Rattler was 8 of 13 for 74 yards, a touchdown and an interception before the fumble. He remained on the sidelines with his helmet on.
At halftime, OU coach Lincoln Riley told Fox's Jenny Taft that Rattler was not injured.
Rattler returned to begin the second half. Mordecai was 5 of 7 for 52 yards in the second quarter.