OSU football: Shane Illingworth wouldn’t have been available had Tulsa game not be delayed
Shane Illingworth's heroics almost didn't happen because of COVID-19.
The OSU freshman quarterback got the win in relief against Tulsa on Saturday, but if the Cowboys and Golden Hurricane played on Sept. 12 as originally scheduled, he wouldn’t have even been available for the game.
Illingworth spent two weeks in quarantine as the result of contact tracing after his roommate tested positive, his mother said. Tiffany McDonald said her son didn’t clear quarantine until last Thursday, only two days before the game.
Because OSU and Tulsa postponed a week after the Golden Hurricane missed numerous practices due to COVID-19, Illingworth was available Saturday. He came in during the third quarter after Spencer Sanders was hurt and Ethan Bullock was ineffective and rallied the Cowboys to victory.
- Related to this story
- Article: College football: Sooners up to No. 3, Cowboys rise to No. 11 in AP poll
- Article: OSU football: Thurman Thomas hopes Ring of Honor induction bridges gap with Mike Gundy, alumni
- Article: OSU football unveils 1987 throwback uniforms for West Virginia game
- Article: OSU football: Cowboy offensive line must stop the music before West Virginia arrives
- Article: OSU football: Chuba Hubbard named to Allstate AFCA Good Works Team
- Article: OSU football: West Virginia preparing for Spencer Sanders to play, watching high school tape on Shane Illingworth
- Article: OU football: Spencer Rattler's arm is off the charts, but his running ability might be needed soon also
- Article: Carlson: Why OSU quarterback Shane Illingworth's family didn't expect him to suit up vs. Tulsa, let alone save the day
- Article: Tramel: Cut Mike Gundy some slack for Oklahoma State quarterback decision
- Article: OSU football: Kolby Harvell-Peel shows creative side through music, with fifth album released on Thursday
- Article: OU football: After 'better than expected' opener, student section biggest change for Sooners' second home game
- Article: OSU football: The Six Shooter pregame thoughts on the Cowboys vs. West Virginia
- Article: Carlson: Why Thurman Thomas deserves the first spot in OSU football's Ring of Honor
- Article: OSU football: 3-2-1 kickoff for No. 15 Cowboys vs. West Virginia
- Video: OSU football: Thurman Thomas hopes Ring of Honor induction bridges gap with Mike Gundy, alumni
- Video: OSU football: Chuba Hubbard always thinking of the 'greater good'
- Video: OSU Football: How Tanner McCalister provided possibly the biggest play of win over Tulsa
Had the game not been moved, Illingworth would have still been in quarantine.
Read more about Illingworth’s unlikely debut Thursday on Oklahoman.com and in The Oklahoman.