Oklahoma high school football: The Oklahoman’s top 10 games of Week 4
District play is here.
Most teams across the state begin district play this week, meaning the games have a bit more importance. Here’s a look at The Oklahoman’s top 10 games of Week 4:
1. Class 6A-I No. 4 Tulsa Union (0-3) at No. 1 Owasso (3-0): With both teams coming off a bye, this matchup could be pivotal to see who could end up winning the district down the road. Tulsa Union has scored only seven points in its first three games combined, so it will look to get going against a strong Owasso defense. The Rams have won 16 straight games.
2. Class 5A No. 3 Piedmont (2-1) at No. 10 Guthrie (3-0): Guthrie looks strong and ready to get back into the playoffs but will have its hands full against a Piedmont team looking again to show it remains capable of winning in one of the state’s strongest districts.
3. Class 6A-II No. 7 Lawton (3-0) at No. 5 Midwest City (2-1): Looking to get back into the playoffs, Lawton begins district play traveling to the metro to face off against a stingy Midwest City defense that will be the Wolverines’ biggest test yet.
4. Class 4A No. 10 Cushing (3-0) at No. 3 Tuttle (3-0): Cushing’s athleticism has helped it start undefeated with strong wins against Perkins-Tryon and Berryhill, but it faces open district play at Tuttle, which has two ranked wins of its own.
5. Class 6A-II No. 8 Choctaw (1-2) at No. 3 Tulsa Washington (2-1): Choctaw will play its first Oklahoma opponent when it heads to Tulsa, where it open play in the east Class 6A-II district. Tulsa Washington is looking for camaraderie after losing star junior Gentry Williams for the season.
6. Class 6A-I No. 7 Westmoore (2-1) at No. 3 Broken Arrow (2-1): Last season, Broken Arrow senior running back Sanchez Banks broke out against the Jaguars, but Westmoore senior quarterback Dayton Wolfe will look to spark his team with an upset.
7. Class 3A No. 10 Anadarko (2-1) at No. 7 Perkins-Tryon (1-1): Anadarko makes its return to Class 3A, opening against one of the top teams in its district. Anadarko will have to stop Perkins-Tryon senior dual-threat quarterback Austin Mages.
8. Class 4A No. 8 Hilldale (3-0) at No. 7 Poteau (1-2): Although defending Class 4A champion Poteau dropped its first two games, it remains a stout opponent. Hilldale has allowed only seven points this season. The winner is in the driver’s seat to win the district.
9. Class 6A-I No. 9 Norman North (1-1) at No. 6 Mustang (2-1), Saturday: The game was postponed a day, but this is an important matchup early in district play between two teams who will be fighting for a playoff spot down the road.
10. Class 2A No. 3 Millwood (1-1) at Prague (3-0): Prague has looked impressive during its nondistrict slate and will try to pull an upset against a Millwood team that will rely on star sophomore Rickey Hunt Jr. to do a little bit of everything.
*-All games Friday unless noted.