The Six Shooter: Six pregame thoughts on OSU vs. Tulsa
STILLWATER — The 11th-ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys open the season against Tulsa at 11 a.m. Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.
So let’s give the Six Shooter a spin with six thoughts on the game.
Cowboy in the Crosshairs
- Related to this story
- Article: College football: Sooners up to No. 3, Cowboys rise to No. 11 in AP poll
- Article: OSU football: Back injury led Calvin Bundage on a long journey back to football
- Article: OSU football: Mike Gundy impressed with kicker Alex Hale's demeanor
- Article: OSU football: Tylan Wallace feeling like old self without knee brace
- Article: Carlson: Why OU, OSU football should be aware home field isn't the advantage it used to be
- Article: OSU football: Malcolm Rodriguez 'pushing 230' as he develops his linebacker body
- Article: Tramel: College football predictions; can OSU avoid the upset bug?
- Article: OSU football: Tulsa offense provides a multi-pronged threat
- Article: OU football: Tre Norwood happy to be back healthy again for Sooners
- Article: OSU football: Spencer Sanders' confidence has improved because of those around him
- Article: OSU football: After rehabbing during pandemic, Kolby Harvell-Peel is ready for action
- Article: 'As long as he's able to run': OSU football gameday star Bullet nearly stayed home but will ride again amid changes
- Article: OU football: 'Race to 26' turnovers remain a focus after solid first showing by Sooners' defense
- Article: OU football: Sooners changing student section guidelines after 'disappointing' behavior in opener
- Article: OSU vs. Tulsa football: Kickoff time, betting odds, matchup breakdown
- Article: 3-2-1 Kickoff: Counting down to OSU football vs. Tulsa
- Article: OSU football: How good can the Cowboy defense be?
- Article: Tramel: Tulsa's Philip Montgomery has a tough job guiding Golden Hurricane through pandemic, school leadership turnover
- Article: OU football: Marvin Mims' high school coach says Sooners freshman receiver 'just has another gear'
- Article: OU football: Spencer Rattler's arm is off the charts, but his running ability might be needed soon also
- Article: OU football: After 'better than expected' opener, student section biggest change for Sooners' second home game
- Video: Mike Gundy Media Availability: September 14
Right tackle Hunter Anthony
The right side of the offensive line is where all the question marks reside. Anthony won the right tackle job early in camp, but he’ll have a lot of eyes on him, whether the Cowboys are running or throwing.
Number to Know
That’s how many yards Chuba Hubbard rushed for against Tulsa last year, and that defense returns only a few starters. But on the other side of the same coin, Hubbard carried the ball 32 times, and OSU certainly won’t want to do that on Saturday.
Matchup that Matters
OSU defensive end Trace Ford vs. Tulsa offensive tackles
Ford has star potential, and he’s going to get the chance to show it in the opener. If OSU can create pressure without rushing more than four, it’ll be a good sign that the Cowboys are on the way toward a dominant performance.
Against the Spread
OSU minus 23.5
The number has been rising for the last two weeks since it originally posted, and it seems like an easy call. Take the Cowboys and give the points. The over-under of 66 seems a little more risky. OSU seems like it’s primed for a 50-plus performance, but the over-under might be decided by a garbage-time touchdown.
It’s too early in the season to go with all-black, just because of the heat factor, but orange jerseys and pants with a white helmet is a solid staple in OSU history. To mix things up, let’s go with the full Pistol Pete logo on the side, better known as Patriot Pete.
1 Wild Prediction
Tay Martin will score a touchdown
I can’t explain it, but something makes me feel like the transfer from Washington State will find the end zone in his first game as a Cowboy.
(Wild Prediction record: Last season, 1-12; All-time, 3-36)