OU football: Running game needs work, Lincoln Riley says
NORMAN — Of the 608 total yards for OU’s offense in Saturday’s 48-0 win over Missouri State, just 124 came on the ground.
Outside of running back Seth McGowan and third-string quarterback Chandler Morris, the Sooners averaged just 1.6 yards per carry. McGowan averaged 6.8 yards on nine carries and Morris 12.5 yards on two.
“The run game was just OK tonight,” Riley said before reconsidering. “Honestly, probably I wouldn’t even give it that. Was probably a little worse than OK.
“So we’ve got to run the ball better but it’s a group effort. There’s some mistakes I made in calling it, some mistakes at the quarterback, the running back, the h-back positions.
- Related to this story
- Article: OU football: 'Sooners For Humanity' initiative announced
- Article: For OU football fans, the new-look gameday means a new approach: 'The memories are more important'
- Article: Carlson: OU football report card all As after season-opening shutout of Missouri State
- Article: OU football: Sooners' season-opening win vs. Missouri State by the numbers
- Article: Carlson: Why OU quarterback Spencer Rattler went into airplane mode and helped the Sooners take flight
- Article: Winners and losers from college football Week 2: Sun Belt on rise, Big 12 takes hit
- Article: OU football: The return of the Schooner and pay-per-view problems among bests and worsts
- Article: College football: Sooners up to No. 3, Cowboys rise to No. 11 in AP poll
- Article: Tramel: Big 12 football power rankings after a miserable Saturday
- Article: Sooner running game was lacking vs. Missouri State
- Article: OU football: Marvin Mims, Seth McGowan emerge as potential stars in Sooners' opener
- Article: Tramel: College football rankings should have Louisiana-Lafayette No. 1
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley says contact tracing holds 'excruciating' for Sooners
- Article: OSU football: Back injury led Calvin Bundage on a long journey back to football
- Article: OU football: Jeremiah Hall says Sooners used to 'higher standard' so COVID-19 protocols are easy to follow
- Article: OU football: Tre Norwood happy to be back healthy again for Sooners
- Article: OU football: 'Race to 26' turnovers remain a focus after solid first showing by Sooners' defense
- Article: OU football: Sooners changing student section guidelines after 'disappointing' behavior in opener
- Article: OU football: Marvin Mims' high school coach says Sooners freshman receiver 'just has another gear'
- Article: OU football: Spencer Rattler's arm is off the charts, but his running ability might be needed soon also
- Article: Big 12 leaves some wiggle room in its schedule for makeup games
- Article: Tramel: Cut Mike Gundy some slack for Oklahoma State quarterback decision
- Article: OSU football: Kolby Harvell-Peel shows creative side through music, with fifth album released on Thursday
- Article: OU football: After 'better than expected' opener, student section biggest change for Sooners' second home game
- Article: OSU football: The Six Shooter pregame thoughts on the Cowboys vs. West Virginia
- Article: OSU football: 3-2-1 kickoff for No. 15 Cowboys vs. West Virginia
“We all had our hands in it.”