OSU football has had 'a couple players' opt out of the season
STILLWATER — At least a couple of Oklahoma State players have opted to sit out the season amid the COVID-19 pandemic, coach Mike Gundy said on Monday.
Out of respect for the players’ rights, Gundy did not name those players. No notable names were absent from the depth chart the team released Monday for the game against Tulsa at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.
“We’ve had a couple players that, at that point which was a couple weeks ago or three weeks ago — I can’t remember when it was — that had some concerns and had decided to sit this season,” Gundy said. “But it’s been very minimal with our team.
“It’s a personal issue. If those players wanted people to know that they were opting out, I’m sure that they would’ve done like most young people and put it on social media so everybody could know.”
- Related to this story
- Article: OSU football parents in medical field are trusting school to care for their sons
- Article: OSU football: 'Our Time' ESPN documentary crew adjusting to changes on the fly
- Article: Tulsa at Oklahoma State football: Broadcast info, betting lines, matchup breakdown
- Article: For college football on TV, 'the season itself is the story'
- Article: OSU football: Three questions, three answers from the first Cowboy depth chart
- Article: OSU football: Offensive guard Josh Sills an ideal fit with program
- Article: OSU football: Cowboys' opener with Tulsa postponed to Sept. 19
- Article: OSU football: Chuba Hubbard always thinking of the 'greater good'
- Article: 10 changes to watch for as college football season kicks off
- Article: OSU football: Calvin Bundage details back surgery, medical hurdles on return to football
- Video: Mike Gundy Media Availability: September 7
- Video: OSU Football: Gundy talks routine, defense and Spencer Sanders
Gundy said his team’s roster still totals 130 between scholarship players and walk-ons.