College football 2020: Sooners No. 5 in preseason AP poll, Cowboys No. 15
NORMAN — OU is No. 5 in The Associated Press preseason college football poll, and OSU came in at No. 15 in the initial poll released Monday.
It's the fifth consecutive season the Sooners are ranked in the top five in the preseason poll. OU has finished in the top 10 in five consecutive years. Last season, the Sooners finished No. 7.
For the Cowboys, it's the first preseason ranking since 2017, when OSU started No. 10. That was also the last time the Cowboys finished in the rankings, at No. 14.
Clemson is No. 1 in the poll, followed by Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia.
- Related to this story
- Article: College football: OSU's Chuba Hubbard, OU's Creed Humphrey named to AP preseason All-American first team
- Article: OU football: Position group virtually wiped out by COVID tests before recent scrimmage
- Article: Odds released on Big 12 title hopes and victories
- Article: OU football: Tailgating prohibited on OU's campus in 2020, homecoming canceled
- Video: OU Football: Highlights from football practice
Two other Big 12 teams are ranked — Texas at No. 14 and Iowa State at No. 23.
Each state team is one spot higher in the AP poll than in the USA Today Coaches' Poll, which was released last week.
The complexion of the poll figures to change dramatically early in the season, though.
Teams from the Big Ten and Pac 12 — and other leagues who have made the decision to postpone their seasons until at least the spring — are included in the preseason poll but won't be once the season begins.
Those affected teams include No. 2 Ohio State, No. 7 Penn State, No. 9 Oregon, No. 12 Wisconsin, No. 16 Michigan, No. 17 USC, No. 19 Minnesota, No. 22 Utah, and No. 24 Iowa.