OKC Thunder: Billy Donovan finishes third in Coach of Year voting
Billy Donovan, after leading the Thunder to unexpected success this season, finished third in Coach of the Year voting, the NBA announced Saturday.
Toronto's Nick Nurse received 90 of 100 first-place votes to win Coach of the Year.
Nurse was the overwhelming choice having positioned the Raptors to defend their NBA title despite losing Kawhi Leonard to the Clippers last summer. Nurse guided the Raptors (53-19) to the second-best record in the Eastern Conference.
Milwaukee's Mike Budenholzer finished second. Budenholzer, who won the award in 2014-15 and 2018-19, led the Bucks (56-17) to the best record in the NBA.
- Related to this story
- Article: OKC Thunder vs. Rockets: NBA Playoffs Game 3 lineups, tip-off time, how to watch
- Article: OKC Thunder: With no home court to fall back on, 0-2 hole to Rockets seems deeper
- Article: Tramel: Winning a single NBA playoff game is now a tall task for the OKC Thunder, which needs four wins in nine days
- Article: Russell Westbrook 'really annoying' as he plays Rockets' new sixth man from the sideline vs. OKC Thunder
- Article: OKC Thunder: Rockets' Jeff Green continues to turn back the clock vs. former team
- Article: OKC Thunder: Tip-off time set for Game 5 vs. Rockets in NBA Playoffs
- Article: OKC Thunder: NBA rules Dennis Schroder fouled Eric Gordon on inbounds turnover
- Article: OSU football: As many as seven true freshmen could play for Cowboys
- Video: Thunder update: Rockets reserves fuel runaway Game 2 win vs. OKC
Coaches were awarded five points for a first-place vote, three points for a second-place vote and one point for a third-place vote. A panel of 100 media members decided the award.
Nurse received 470 points, Budenholzer received 147 points and Donovan received 134 points, including four first-place votes.
Donovan was previously named C0-Coach of the Year by the National Basketball Coaches Association.
Despite losing Russell Westbrook and Paul George in the offseason, the Thunder finished with a better winning percentage this season than last.
After a 6-11 start, the Thunder finished 38-17 after Thanksgiving. Only the Bucks and Raptors had more wins during that span.
The Thunder clinched the No. 5 seed in the West, and trail the No. 4 seed Rockets 2-0 in the first round.
Donovan, in his fifth season as coach, has led the Thunder to a 243-157 regular-season record. The Thunder is 15-21 in the playoffs under Donovan.
2019-20 Coach of the Year voting
1. Nick Nurse, Raptors: 470 points
2. Mike Budenholzer, Bucks: 147 points
3. Billy Donovan, Thunder: 134 points
4. Erik Spoelstra, Heat: 54 points
5. Frank Vogel, Lakers: 46 points
6. Taylor Jenkins, Grizzlies: 29 points
7. Nate McMillan, Pacers: 12 points
8. Brad Stevens, Celtics: 5 points
9. Michael Malone, Nuggets: 5 points
10. Doc Rivers, Clippers: 5 points