Eddie Sutton's coaching tree had plenty of branches even before his Oklahoma State days
Here's a look at Eddie Sutton's coaching tree, based around his head coaching tenures:
COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO, 1966-69
Fred Trenkle: Played for Sutton at Southern Idaho, then became coach at the junior college from 1983-93 before taking over at San Diego State (1994-99).
Bob Gottlieb: A Sutton assistant at Creighton. Coached at Jacksonville (1973-74) and Milwaukee (1975-80).
Tom Apke: After assisting Sutton at Creighton, took over at Creighton (1974-81) before coaching Colorado (1981-86) and Appalachian State (1986-96).
Gene Keady: Sutton assistant at Arkansas who coached at Western Kentucky (1978-79) before becoming a legendary coach at Purdue (1980-2005).
- Related to this story
- Article: OSU basketball: Eddie Sutton to be inducted in Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
- Article: Jenni Carlson: Why Eddie Sutton's Hall of Fame inclusion is about more than his wins
- Article: OSU basketball: Eddie Sutton's 'defense, dedication, discipline' finally honored with Naismith Hall of Fame election
- Article: Former OSU coach Eddie Sutton dies at 84
- Article: Berry Tramel: Eddie Sutton was genuine while building Oklahoma State basketball
- Article: Eddie Sutton: Legendary Oklahoma State coach waited out hall of fame, won that battle, too
- Article: Bill Clinton on Eddie Sutton: Late Oklahoma State and Arkansas coach was more than 'a basketball genius'
- Article: Eddie Sutton: 'I would have crawled all the way to Lexington' and other memorable quotes
- Article: OSU basketball: Eddie Sutton was a 'Hall of Fame friend'
- Article: 'I’ve never been more proud of my dad': Eddie Sutton was a rock for OSU after 2001 plane crash
- Article: OSU basketball: Eddie Sutton's Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony reportedly postponed
- Article: OSU basketball: ESPNU to broadcast four Eddie Sutton games Friday
- Video: Kelvin Sampson gets emotional talking about Eddie Sutton
Pat Foster: Assistant for Sutton at Arkansas who had head coaching stops at Lamar (1980-86), Houston (1986-93) and Nevada (1993-99).
Bob Cleeland: Assistant for Sutton at Arkansas before taking over at Missouri State (1982-83).
Doc Sadler: A student manager turned assistant under Sutton at Arkansas who became head coach at Texas-El Paso (2004-06), Nebraska (2006-12) and Southern Miss (2014-19).
Darrell Walker: One of Sutton’s great Arkansas players who was an NBA head coach in Toronto (1996-98) and Washington (2000) and is now at Arkansas-Little Rock (2018-present).
Leonard Hamilton: A Sutton assistant at UK, he preceded Sutton at OSU (1986-90), then coached Miami (1990-2000), the NBA’s Washington Wizards (2000-01) and Florida State (2002-present).
Dwane Casey: Sutton assistant at Kentucky who has been an NBA head coach in Minnesota (2005-07), Toronto (2011-18) and Detroit (2018-present).
Sean Woods: Played for Sutton at Kentucky and has coached Mississippi Valley State (2008-12), Morehead State (2012-17) and Southern (2018-present).
OKLAHOMA STATE, 1990-2006
Rob Evans: Sutton assistant at OSU became head coach at Ole Miss (1992-98) and Arizona State (1998-2006).
Bill Self: Sutton retained Self when Sutton arrived at OSU, then Self took over teams at Oral Roberts (1993-97), Tulsa (1997-2000), Illinois (2000-03) and Kansas (2003-present).
Tim Jankovich: Sutton assistant in Stillwater who became a head coach at North Texas (1993-97), Illinois State (2007-12) and SMU (2015-present).
Scott Sutton: Played for his dad at OSU, then became head coach at Oral Roberts (1999-2017).
Paul Graham: Sutton assistant at OSU who became head coach at Washington State (1999-2003).
Brooks Thompson: Cowboy sharpshooter who became a Sutton assistant at OSU before taking over at Texas-San Antonio (2006-16).
Russ Pennell: Sutton assistant in Stillwater who became head coach at Arizona (2008-09) and Central Arkansas (2014-present).
Corey Williams: Played for Sutton at OSU, then worked as a student assistant. Became head coach at Stetson (2013-19).
Kyle Keller: Spent nearly a decade as a Sutton assistant at OSU, now head coach at Stephen F. Austin (2016-present).
James Dickey: A Sutton assistant at Arkansas, Kentucky and OSU who became head coach at Texas Tech (1991-2001) and Houston (2010-14).
Jimmy Dykes: Played for Sutton at Arkansas, then was his assistant at Arkansas, Kentucky and OSU before becoming head coach for Arkansas women’s basketball (2014-17).
John Pelphrey: Played for Sutton at Kentucky, then became his assistant at OSU. Became head coach at South Alabama (2002-07), Arkansas (2007-11) and Tennessee Tech (2019-present).
Sean Sutton: Played for his dad at UK and OSU, then became an assistant in Stillwater before taking over the Cowboys (2006-08).
Jenni Carlson, Columnist