Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Donovan Mitchell had important message for fans after testing positive
The NBA season was suspended indefinitely on Wednesday night when Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for the coronavirus. As the Jazz players were quarantined and tested as a precaution, news broke on Thursday at Donovan Mitchell also tested positive for coronavirus.
Mitchell, who was not experiencing symptoms on Wednesday according to Stephen A. Smith, opened up about the diagnosis with a Thursday Instagram post.
Along with thanking everyone for their support, Mitchell urged people to be proactive when it comes to educating themselves about COVID-19. He added that he was going to continue to follow the advice of the health professionals caring for him.
Thanks to everyone who has been reaching out since hearing the news about my positive test. We are all learning more about the seriousness of this situation and hopefully people can continue to educate themselves and realize that they need to behave responsibly both for their own health and for the well being of those around them. I appreciate the authorities in Oklahoma who were helpful with the testing process and everyone from the @utahjazz who have been so supportive. I am going to keep following the advice of our medical staff and hope that we can all come together and be there for each other and our neighbors who need our help
It’s an incredibly fluid situation, but it’s great to hear that Mitchell is doing all right and taking the matter seriously. Let’s hope that fans heed to his advice when it comes to taking proper precautions.
Along with Mitchell and Gobert, Juventus defender Daniele Rugani was also a prominent athlete to test positive for the coronavirus.
- Related to this story
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Thunder game vs. Jazz postponed, Utah player tested positive for coronavirus
- Article: 'I've never seen anything like this:' Fans react to Thunder-Jazz postponement
- Article: Thunder-Jazz: Timeline of surreal night that stopped NBA
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Downtown OKC hotel closing for 'deep cleaning' following Utah Jazz coronavirus discovery
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Jazz center Rudy Gobert joked about coronavirus, touched reporters' recorders days before positive test
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell visited Del City High School before testing positive for disease
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Next steps for fans who attended the Thunder's postponed game against the Jazz
- Article: Thunder Buddies Podcast: Coronavirus suspends the season
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Thunder following OSDH direction regarding COVID-19 testing
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Downtown hotel where Jazz stayed closing for for 'deep cleaning'
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: How Oklahoma City changed the way America thinks about this pandemic
- Article: FAQs as NBA suspends season following Thunder-Jazz game
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Behind the scenes at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: High school basketball coaches react to postponement of state tournaments
- Article: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Frankie J 'won't ever forget' his impromptu halftime show before Thunder-Jazz game
- Article: NBA suspends season until further notice, over coronavirus
- Video: Coronavirus in Oklahoma: Gov. Stitt, health officials press conference