Scrap metal items regulated by Oklahoma law
Currently regulated scrap metal materials that can only be sold to Oklahoma recyclers by persons authorized by state law include:
• Manhole covers, street signs, traffic signs, traffic signals including fixtures and hardware, or any other identifiable public property
• Electric light poles, including their fixtures and hardware, electric transmission or distribution cable and wires and any other hardware associated with electric utility or telecommunication systems
• Highway guard rails, funeral markers, plaques or funeral vases, historical markers or public artifacts.
- Related to this story
- Article: Scrap metal theft can prove dangerous and costly, but legislative action may be on the horizon
• Railroad equipment and any metal item marked with any form of the name, initials or logo of a governmental entity, utility, cemetery or railroad
•Condensing or evaporating coils from heating or air conditioning units, as well as aluminum or stainless steel containers or bottles designed to contain fuel
• Metal beer kegs that are clearly marked as being the property of the beer manufacturer, metal bleachers or other seating used in recreational areas or sporting arenas
• Automotive catalytic converters, plumbing or electrical fixtures, tools, machinery or supplies commonly used in the drilling, completing, operating or repairing of oil or gas wells, as well as stainless steel fittings and fixtures commonly used in the operation of car wash facilities.