OU football: Big 12 title game impacts Sooners' recruiting
NORMAN — The Sooners are playing for a conference championship on Saturday, but that also means they can't be out on the road recruiting this week.
The calendar pushed back a week this season makes getting out on the recruiting trail tougher for Oklahoma ahead of National Signing Day on Dec. 18.
The Sooners will have coaches out recruiting here and there this week, but, as they prepare for the Big 12 title game, they won't be able to have the presence on the recruiting trail of some other schools. But playing for the Big 12 Championship is also a positive for recruiting.
“It’s tough. We knew this was coming," Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said. "We even petitioned the NCAA league, all that, a while back trying to — thinking if you qualified for your conference championship game, you ought try and get or two more days recruiting, maybe even like that Sunday."
- Related to this story
- Article: Bedlam final: OU 34, OSU 16
- Article: OU football: Sooners' defensive streak snapped by Cowboys
- Article: OU football: Nick Basquine, Jalen Hurts get first touchdown pass, reception on trick play
- Article: OU football: Kennedy Brooks runs wild on OSU as Sooners win Bedlam
- Article: OSU football: Chuba Hubbard moves up Cowboys' record book in Bedlam
- Article: Bedlam football: Sooners' defense corrals Chuba Hubbard and the Cowboys
- Article: OU football: Jalen Hurts makes like Tommy McDonald in Bedlam victory
- Article: OSU football: Cowboys couldn't make enough plays in critical moments of Bedlam loss
- Article: OU football journal: Basquine, Hurts get first TD pass, catch on trick play
- Article: OU football: Best, worst from Sooners' Bedlam win
- Article: OSU football: Larry Joubert, Dru Brown's hurdle, fourth-down plays highlight best, worst of Bedlam loss
- Article: OU football: Sooners move up one spot in latest AP poll
- Article: OSU football report card: Cowboys solid in secondary, suspect with ball security in Bedlam
- Article: Bedlam by the numbers: Sooners' November winning streak reaches 21
- Article: OUfootball report card: Fourth-down defense & red zone on both sides excel in Bedlam
- Article: Jalen Hurts: 'Rain, sleet or snow, the Sooners must go'
- Article: OU football: Young defenders step up against Cowboys
- Article: OU football: Few schools have dominated a conference like OU has dominated the Big 12
- Article: OSU football: Tight end Grayson Boomer enters transfer portal, per reports
- Article: Berry Tramel: West Virginia rises in Big 12 rankings
- Article: OU football: Parnell Motley named Big 12 Defensive Player of Week
- Article: OU football: Jalen Redmond questionable for Big 12 Championship
- Video: OU Football: Alex Grinch talks about win over OSU
- Video: Bedlam football: Sooners' defense corrals Chuba Hubbard and the Cowboys
- Video: Bedlam 2019: Highlights of OU vs OSU
- Video: OU Football: Jalen Hurts on beating OSU
- Video: OU Football: Lincoln Riley on win over OSU
- Video: OSU Football: Mike Gundy on loss to OU
- Video: OSU Football: Cowboys couldn't make enough plays in critical moments of Bedlam loss
- Video: OSU Football: Rodriguez on Bedlam loss
Riley remembers having support from about 10 teams, with another 50 going against the idea. He thinks the teams who didn't expect to be playing for a conference championship are the ones who voted it down.
"It makes zero sense that you qualify for your championship game and you’re penalized at the most important recruiting point in the year," Riley said. "The positive is I think those players know why we’re not on the road as much."
The lack of time to go out and recruit this year is because of the way the calendar fell and the fact that everything got pushed back a week. It's something that Riley thinks will come up again and something that will have to be dealt with in the future, Riley said.
"Having one week to be on the road before signing day is not ideal,” Riley said.