Red Andrews Christmas event seeks donations
Organizers of the annual Red Andrews Christmas Dinner are seeking volunteers, monetary donations, coats and toys for the thousands of patrons who will attend the event this year.
Each year, members of the Red Andrews family, local community leaders and volunteers serve warm meals and provide toys for those in need. It's been a holiday tradition since the 1940s.
“Many people are alone, do not have family, they may not be able to afford to go out — it does not matter your circumstance,” said Mary Blankenship Pointer, board secretary/treasurer. “The most important thing to know is that everyone is invited to eat.”
About 500 volunteers are needed for the Christmas Day event, especially during the hours after 1 p.m., Pointer said.
Last year, about 8,000 people were fed and thousands of toys and coats distributed at the event.
“It has been incredible to witness Oklahomans working together in the spirit of serving our neighbors,” said board president Robert Goldman. “We are all united in that we recognize what a highly valued and impactful event this has been on the community for many decades.”
The 74th annual Red Andrews Christmas Dinner will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Christmas Day in the Event Hall of Cox Convention Center, 1 Myriad Gardens, in downtown Oklahoma City. It is free and open to the public.
Beginning Dec. 1, donations of new, unwrapped toys and coats of all sizes will be accepted at Jackie Cooper BMW, 14145 N Broadway; the Goldman Law Firm, 222 NW 13; Cort Furniture, 4300 NW 39; and Frontier State Bank, 5100 S Interstate 35 Service Road.
- Related to this story
- Article: Volunteers roll along at Buck$ 4 Bikes assembly event
- Article: Hanukkah lights brighten Bricktown
- Article: 'Jesse Tree' is a different kind of Christmas tree
- Article: Christmas in a shoebox
- Article: Welcome to my (gingerbread) house
- Article: Telling the Christmas story
- Article: Boys Ranch Town's Christmas pageant is holiday tradition
- Article: Families take 'A Walk Through Bethlehem'
- Article: Christmas basket for veterans project is under way
- Article: Christmas bells are ringing
- Video: Downtown in December
Monetary donations should be made payable to the Red Andrews’ Christmas Dinner Foundation, attention Mary Blankenship Pointer, 2513 SW 124, Oklahoma City, OK 73170.
For more information, call 405-886-2886, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit redandrewsdinner.org.