OSU football: Cowboys turn to huddle in upset of No. 23 Iowa State
AMES, Iowa — With a former teammate on the opposite sideline, Oklahoma State was taking no risks of giving away its plan.
That meant a slower pace. That meant more huddle, instead of the up-tempo, no-huddle look the Cowboys are known for.
Former OSU quarterback John Kolar couldn’t steal a signal that way during the Cowboys’ 34-27 upset of No. 23 Iowa State at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday.
“We’ve got Kolar over there and we don’t want him interrupting our signals,” OSU quarterback Spencer Sanders said. “They’ve been good at picking up signals. I think we handled the huddle very well.”
- Related to this story
- Article: Recap: OSU 34, Iowa State 27
- Article: Five takeaways from Oklahoma State's upset of Iowa State
- Article: OSU football: Matt Ammendola delivers strong kicks on Iowa State's grass field
- Article: OSU football: Iowa State tight end Charlie Kolar has big day
- Article: OSU football: Saturday's win over Iowa State by the numbers
- Article: OSU report card: Cowboy defense gets high marks in upset of Iowa State
- Article: OSU football: Kolby Harvell-Peel's record day sets tone for defense
- Article: OSU football: Malcolm Rodriguez's pick-six ignites Cowboys past Iowa State
- Article: OSU football: Big plays, Spencer Sanders' resilience carry Cowboy offense
- Article: OSU football: Tylan Wallace's stiff arm, strange wedding proposal highlight best, worst of win at Iowa State
- Article: K-State's upset of Sooners highlights a wild day in Big 12 football
- Article: Oklahoma falls to No. 10 in Associated Press poll
- Article: SoonersXtra podcast: Oklahoma-Kansas State postgame edition
- Article: FiveThirtyEight: Sooners still have 27 percent chance at playoff
- Article: OSU football: Tylan Wallace's stiff arm was highlight, but more about his physicality
- Article: OSU football journal: Cowboys handle bumpy flight to Ames
- Article: OU football: Sooners abandoned the run vs. Kansas State and it proved costly
- Article: OU football: Time for Sooners' game against Iowa State announced
- Article: Berry Tramel: Storm-the-field Saturday at the Big 12's Kansas schools
- Article: OU football: Forced touching on Sooners' onside kick not replay reviewable, Big 12 officials coordinator says
- Video: OSU Football - Cowboys upset Iowa State
- Video: OSU Football: Rodriguez talks interception and Cyclones win
- Video: OSU Football: Ogbongbemiga reflects on defense during Cyclones matchup
- Video: OSU Football - Wallace vs Iowa State
- Video: OSU Football - Harvell-Peel vs Iowa State
- Video: OSU Football - Hubbard vs Iowa State
- Video: OSU Football - Sanders vs Iowa State
OSU coach Mike Gundy said the adjustment was made for a variety of of reasons. He said it might have helped in the win.
Either way, it was a unique look for an offense known to call plays at the line of scrimmage.
“Just trying to strategically put ourselves in a good position," OSU offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson said.