Jalen Hurts: Avoiding 'Rat poison,' overlooking South Dakota
You can take the quarterback out of Alabama. You can't take the Alabama out of the quarterback.
Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts recycled a Nick Saban line Tuesday when he was asked about playing FCS South Dakota on Saturday (6:30 p.m., pay-per-view)./
"You treat every game the same," Hurts said. "That's how I talk about rat poison. We will focus on what we need to focus and try to get better each week. Fix our mistakes from last week."
Hurts' comments recalled what Saban said in 2017 after Hurts' Crimson Tide beat Texas A&M 27-19 to improve to 6-0.
- Related to this story
- Gallery: OU football: Hurts shines as Sooners top Houston
- Article: Final: OU 49, Houston 31
- Article: OU football journal: R.J. Proctor the only surprise starter vs. Houston
- Article: Jalen Hurts and Alex Grinch's defense tops the storylines for the Sooners' season-opening win
- Article: OU football: Hot start, efficient offense evident in the numbers
- Article: OU football report card: Great grades for Jalen Hurts
- Article: OU football: Why the defense looked different — and it was definitely different good
- Article: OU football: Best and worst from Oklahoma's 49-31 win over Houston
- Article: OU football: Jalen Hurts everything the Sooners could've wanted in debut
- Article: OU football: Shane Beamer gets stitches after headbutting helmet
- Article: OU football: Seven true freshmen debut against Houston
- Article: OU-Houston second-highest rated game of college football opening weekend
- Article: Victory over Oregon makes Auburn the most impressive team in college football so far
- Article: OU football: Jalen Hurts picks up two Big 12 honors
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley gives injury updates
- Article: 'B-L-E-S-S-E-D': Battling ALS, Sooners great Rickey Dixon still feels the love during Norman return
- Article: OU football: OT Anton Harrison commits to Sooners
- Article: Holgorsen high on the Sooners after they beat his Houston Cougars
- Article: OU football journal: Hurts avoiding 'rat poison' in overlooking South Dakota
- Video: OU Football: Jalen Hurts
- Video: OU Football: Dana Holgorsen talks about loss to OU
- Video: OU Football: Analysis - Sooners open season with win over Houston
- Video: OU Football: Lincoln Riley TV interview
- Video: OU Football: Jalen Hurts TV interview
- Video: OU Football: Jalen Hurts highlights
- Video: OU Football: Scoring plays vs Houston
- Video: OU Football: Kyler Murray, Marquise Brown
- Video: OU Football: Alex Grinch talks defensive performance
- Video: OU Football: Lincoln Riley press conference following win vs Houston
- Video: OU Football: Jalen Hurts press conference
- Video: OU football: Jalen Redmond returns
- Video: OU Football: Lincoln Riley previews South Dakota
- Video: OU Football: Kenneth Murray on season opener
"I'm trying to get our players to listen to me instead of listening to you guys," Saban said. "All that stuff you write about how good we are, all that stuff they hear on ESPN, it's like poison. It's like taking poison.
"Like rat poison."
Saban said he didn’t watch Sunday’s Oklahoma win over Houston but was aware of Hurts’ performance.
“I hear he played extremely well, did an outstanding job, and that doesn’t surprise me in the least bit,” Saban said. “We’re really happy for him, not only in the way that he handled himself throughout this entire process but now that he’s having success as well.”