OU football: Hot start, efficient offense evident in the numbers
1: Punt for Oklahoma. The Sooners weren’t forced to do so until 4:01 left in the game, the first possession without Jalen Hurts at quarterback.
3: First-quarter catches for Sooner fullback Jeremiah Hall, who had only two catches all of last season when he mostly backed up Carson Meier. One of Hall’s early catches went for a touchdown, the first for the Sooners this season, and he would’ve had another if not for tripping up at the 2-yard line.
4: Punts in the first half by Houston, which finished the game with five punts. In eight games last season, OU forced only four punts in the entire game.
11: Sooners made their first career start Sunday night, six on offense, five on defense.
13: First downs in the first quarter by OU, which ran only 17 plays.
21: Yards in the first quarter by Houston.
11.3: Yards per play by the Sooners, just missing the school record of 11.96 set in 2017 vs. West Virginia. The Mountaineers’ coach that night? Dana Holgorsen, who is now the Houston coach.
128: Rushing yards for Jalen Hurts in the first half, more than any quarterback making his Sooner debut ever in an entire game. Steve Davis had that single-game record at 110 yards vs. Baylor in 1973. Hurts finished with 176 rushing yards.
- Related to this story
- Gallery: OU football: Hurts shines as Sooners top Houston
- Article: Final: OU 49, Houston 31
- Article: OU football journal: R.J. Proctor the only surprise starter vs. Houston
- Article: Jalen Hurts and Alex Grinch's defense tops the storylines for the Sooners' season-opening win
- Article: OU football report card: Great grades for Jalen Hurts
- Article: OU football: Why the defense looked different — and it was definitely different good
- Article: OU football: Best and worst from Oklahoma's 49-31 win over Houston
- Article: OU football: Jalen Hurts everything the Sooners could've wanted in debut
- Article: OU football: Shane Beamer gets stitches after headbutting helmet
- Article: OU football: Seven true freshmen debut against Houston
- Article: OU football: Lincoln Riley gives injury updates
- Article: Jalen Hurts: Avoiding 'Rat poison,' overlooking South Dakota
- Article: 'B-L-E-S-S-E-D': Battling ALS, Sooners great Rickey Dixon still feels the love during Norman return
- Article: OU football: OT Anton Harrison commits to Sooners
- Article: Holgorsen high on the Sooners after they beat his Houston Cougars
- Article: OU football journal: Hurts avoiding 'rat poison' in overlooking South Dakota
- Video: OU Football: Dana Holgorsen talks about loss to OU
- Video: OU Football: Analysis - Sooners open season with win over Houston
508: Yards of total offense for Hurts, obliterating the record by a player making his Sooner debut. Baker Mayfield held the record of 396 yards vs. Akron in 2015.