How to kill time in south Florida
Legions of University of Oklahoma football fans are escaping the ice planet Hoth this week to watch the Sooners battle it out with Clemson Thursday. Their decision to take the plunge and travel to south Florida is already paying off as Oklahoma has been covered in a layer of rain, snow, sleet...ice and it's expected to be a chilly week.
The big game kicks off Thursday afternoon leaving plenty of time to kill. Here's TripAdivsor's top five things to do in Miami with a personal recommendation for a trip out to the Everglades.
This list excludes the No. 1 attraction (American Airlines Arena) because if you've seen one NBA arena you've seen them all.
1. Zoological Wildlife Foundation: The five acre zoo houses everything from domestic animals and primates to large predatory birds and mammals.
2. Vizcaya Museum and Gardens: This home and its gardens are a national historic landmark and has also been used in several films, including Any Given Sunday.
3. Boat trips: Here is a listing of some of the more popular charter operations in south Florida offering everything from deep sea fishing trips to tours of the everglades.
4. Wynwood Walls: If you're into street art this is the place to be. Wynwood was founded in 2009 by Tony Goldman who thought the area's numerous warehouse buildings would make good canvases for art.
5. Metromover: This 4.4 mile electrically powered fully automated people mover system connects with Metrorail and allows for some of the best views of Miami. It also hits some of the more popular tourist areas like Bayside Market. Anything resembling legitimate mass transit is a novelty to an Oklahoman so this is worth the time. And best of all, it's free.
Others include South Beach, if you can find a place to park. In Fort Lauderdale the less gltizy Las Olas Blvd. and sightseeing tours of large homes on an inter coastal waterway tour are also good bets.
For adventurous folks a visit to Lips,in Fort Lauderdale, is an entertaining way to spend an evening. Reservations are recommended.